John Dawson Prize
John Dawson Prize for Numerical Simulation of Plasmas - This is a life time achievement award in numerical simulation of plasmas starting from the 18th ICNSP (2003). As you may notice, the name has been changed from John Dawson Award to John Dawson Prize. This is, in part, to avoid the confusion with the John Dawson Award by APS-DPP. Moreover, we believe that the award prestige, selection process, and cash prize of this important award should be elevated to a level consistent with the increasingly important role of numerical simulation in plasma physics research. A prestigious award also serves as an attraction to and as a magnet for the continuity of the ICNSP series. To that end, a stand-alone Awards Committee to handle the awards has been setup and a standardized nomination and selection procedure consistent with the APS practice has been adopted. The Chairs of the Award Committee and Program Committee are automatically members of both committees for coordination. Anyone may submit one nomination or seconding letter for the the Prize. The recipient(s) will present oral talk(s) at the Conference. All nominations should follow the APS award and prize nomination guideline [http://www.aps.org/programs/honors/nomination.cfm], which include:
1. A letter evaluating the nominee's qualifications in the light of the nominee's impact on plasma simulation in general and identifying the specific work to be recognized. THERE IS NO NOMINATION FORM, so this letter is considered the nomination "application"
2. A biographical sketch (optional)
3. A list of the nominee's most important publications
4. At least two, but no more than four, seconding letters with up to five reprints or preprints of the nominee's work.
***Please submit all material in a single PDF file for each nominee to Professor Zhihong Lin, Chairman of Awards
Oscar Buneman Award
Oscar Buneman Award for Visualization of Plasmas - Anyone in the community can nominate and the nominator(s) for Visualization Awards should submit:
1. An art in digital form with names of awardees
2. Supporting statements in terms of the impact on numerical simulation and physics understanding
3. A list of publications related to the art
***Please send the package to Professor Zhihong Lin, Chairman of Awards Committee [email@example.com]
1. The deadline for the nominations of the Awards is July 15, 2011(see the panel for Important Dates).
2. The winner(s) of the Dawson Prize and Buneman Awards will be announced by the Chairman of Awards Committee at the banquet of the Conference along with the reading of the citations and check presentations - the amount of which is presently under discussion and will be announced at a later date.
3. Nominations for the Dawson Prize is active for two consecutive ICNSP conferences, while nominations for the Buneman Award is active only for one ICNSP conference